When Death Occurs

Depending on where the death occurs and under what circumstances, this explains what you should do when the death occurs:

Death in an institution
When the death occurs at a hospital or nursing home, the medical staff should take care of all necessary legal steps. You just need to notify the medical staff that Harder Funeral Home is the funeral home handling arrangements so they can have you sign any necessary release paperwork.

Anticipated death at home
Today, more people with terminal illnesses are electing to die at home under the care of hospice. In this situation, you just need to notify Hospice that Harder Funeral Home is the funeral home of your choice, they will then take care of all necessary legal requirements. Many times when someone has a terminal illness, the family will elect to make prearrangements with us so that they are not overwhelmed with the many important decisions at the time of death.

Unanticipated death at home or elsewhere
In these situations, immediately call 911. The police and emergency medical personnel will then determine the appropriate steps to be taken. Often, the police can release the human remains directly to our funeral home. However, in certain cases, the body may need to go to the Medical Examiner's office so that they can determine the cause of death.

Death out of State
If the death occurs outside of Wilsonsin, call James Guardalabene at (262) 781-8350. We can coordinate with a local funeral director at the place of death. No matter where death takes place or burial is desired, the trained funeral directors at Harder Funeral Home know what to do. If you are ever confronted with this seemingly perplexing problem of what to do when death occurs, let Harder Funeral Home have the opportunity to serve you by giving us a call to give us the facts and express your desires.